Have you ever heard the phrase ‘act as if’? No, I’m not talking about when your mother used to yell, “you betta act like you got some sense chile!” I first heard ‘act as if,’ maybe a couple years ago, while speaking with my younger brother. Before then, I’ve always used the phrase, “fake it til you make it” or “fake it til you become.” However, once digesting this ‘act as if’, I soon replaced the ‘fake’ with the ‘act.’
What is ‘Act As If?’
‘Act as if’ is a concept used in the psychological world as a tool to help people positively change their thoughts and behaviors.
‘Act as if’ is implementing the thoughts and behaviors of the desired outcome prior to its manifestation.
This concept reminds me of the Golden Rule which talks about treating others the way you wish to be treated. However, with ‘act as if,’ your actions are directly and immediately impacting you, rather than the boomerang effect of the Golden Rule.
In a previous post, we reminded ourselves that we must believe and speak our desires. Then we can acheive them. ‘Act as if’ is a part of achieving what you desire.
How to ‘Act As If?’
- Identify the desired outcome.
- What is your end game?
- What have you aspired to be?
- What skill do you wish to develop?
- Identify and acknowledge any thoughts and/or beliefs that may prohibit you from achieving your desired outcome.
- What are your fears?
- What are the believed obstacles of your current circumstance?
- What negatives did your family and friends tell you about why it can’t be done?
- Who is in your inner circle?
- Remove ALL things negative of Step 2 from your cognizance.
- Identify and understand thoughts and actions needed to produce the desired outcome.
- Educate yourself to become informed about your desired outcome.
- Connect with someone or people that has accomplished what you desire to accomplish.
- Study! Review so that it may be a part of you AND review so it can be reinforcement to and through your desired outcome.
- Practice Step 4 behaviors repeatedly
- Rehearse what you have learned over and over again so it may become an innate part of you.
- Implement behaviors daily.
- Convert your knowledge and understanding into actions daily.
Following these steps, you will find yourself more confident. Also, your belief in your desired outcome will grow even stronger. Eventually, you will no longer need to ACT, you will BE!
Let’s look at it this way. Have you ever told a lie so good that you started believing that lie yourself? (that’s a real good lie, isn’t it?) I laugh even as I’m typing, because I’m thinking about what I heard comedian Nakita B say the other day. Nakita B said that she once told a lie so good that her friend had to remind her that it was a lie. Her friend was like, Nakita you know that was a lie, right? We came up with that lie together! It was too funny y’all!
Well, that’s how we need to be with our actions. Our actions should be so much so that our desires and reality appears seamless.
I no longer use ‘fake it til you make it’ or ‘fake it til you become it’, because AIN’T NOTHING FAKE ‘BOUT ME. We can’t fake what is already written and predestined. Polishers, we have already established the fact that success is our birthright. We have an inheritance of wealth, power, and ALL that is beautiful. As we’ve discussed before, our words impact our thoughts and behaviors, consciously and subconsciously.
A quick pause for those that may have a little doubt in believing this. Let me help you with your Step 3, removing negative thoughts to prevent the desired outcome of being someone of greatness, wealth, and power.
Ok. We can now move on after that quick praise break. AMEN SOMEBODY!
This ‘Act As If’ concept has been around for decades. As the saying goes, ‘there’s nothing new under the sun.’ So, it is my desire (as with anything else I say or write), that you are reminded and/or enlightened by the knowledge that you are great and wonderful. You are what you are supposed to be. You have it in you. It’s not where you are right now, the money you don’t have, the neighborhood you from, the education you lack, the mate you ain’t got( i know english teacher, i love blogging because I can say it how I want).
You are you! That’s who you are supposed to be! So… ACT LIKE IT!
Warning! Through your ‘act as if’ process, there are going to be some people that will think you can qualify for a check. (yall know what check I’m talking about :)). But that’s okay. Let them think and say whatever. Just keep on keeping on, and when your desired outcome is your reality, this is what you do. Swing back by those same folk and write them out a check for $0.02. That’s to thank them for their two cents that didn’t mean a thing to you, but they can go and cash it and use it for whatever they think it’s good for.